No matter how attractive your upper body is, a thin not-so-defined lower leg can take a toll on your self-esteem. You may try workouts for developing your calf muscles perfectly. But what if it doesn’t work for you? Simply switch to calf implants or calf augmentation surgery. Here is what you need to know about it:
What is Calf Implant or Calf Augmentation?
Calf Implant or calf augmentation is a surgical procedure, which is mostly practiced for sculpting lower legs by rectifying the imbalance caused in calf muscles due to physical as well as innate shortcomings. There are different types of implants which, depending upon the requirements of the patients, are positioned right above the calf muscles in order to tone and define the lower legs and make them look sexier. The process offers long-lasting results by enhancing the shape and size of calf significantly.
How Does It Work?
- The incision is made at the rear of the knee underneath the crease. It should be created through the skin and the layer of connective tissues and cover up the gastrocnemius muscle beautifully.
- A compartment is formed between the calf muscle and the connective tissue layer for inserting the implant.
- The implant is placed into it in the right way and the incision is closed with sutures.
- The entire procedure can be performed within 45 minutes.
Also Read – Cure From the Nature for Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) Here
An ideal candidate for calf implant or calf augmentation should be in good physical and mental condition. She should also have some lower leg defects developed by injury or congenital conditions. She may also want to enhance the appearance of her legs by improving the anatomic proportion.
The results of the calf augmentation procedure are listed below:
- The results of calf augmentation surgery are permanent. At first, there may be some stiffness and soreness. But you will get well-toned lower legs eventually.
- Post-surgical pain, inflammation and redness are common. However, all these go away within 5 to 7 days.
- The legs need to be kept elevated for at least 1 week.
Even though you can resume normal schedule within a couple of weeks, you have to wait more or less 6 weeks to start strenuous activities.
Risks and Side Effects
Just like all other cosmetic procedures, calf implant or calf augmentation surgery also comes with several risks and side effects. These include infection, allergy, anesthetic reaction, bleeding, implant shifting, implant distorting, numbness, scarring, alteration in underlying muscle structure, hematoma, seroma, asymmetry, and so on.
Also Read – How to Choose your Plastic Surgeon Here
Different benefits of the calf augmentation procedure are:
- Gives well-formed and defined lower legs.
- Develops the calf muscles properly.
- Wards off accidental or congenital deformities.
- Makes the entire body profile better.
- Improves self-esteem.
- Extremely beneficial for bodybuilders and sportspersons.
In general, the cost of a calf implant or calf augmentation surgery ranges anywhere between $3,000 and $7,000. However, it might vary from one person to another depending upon her goals, requirements and physical fitness.