Glycolic Acid is a natural component of much famous AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) & used in many skin care products. AHA is known for its great impact on skin betterment. Derived from sugarcane and grapes, glycolic acid makes your skin rejuvenated and beautiful. But at the same time, it has some con attached too. Let’s know how Glycolic acid impacts your skin –
- Opens pores of clogged skin – Available in form of face creams and lotions, glycolic acid helps you in removing dead cells from your skin which opens clogged pores of your skin and make it glow.
- Regular Exfoliation – Regular application of glycolic acid on face exfoliates your face naturally which tends to make your facial skin healthier.
- Anti-aging product – Glycolic acid also works as an anti-aging element. It removes fine lines, wrinkles and age spots from your face.
- Treats Scars – Glycolic acid’s skin proofing abilities makes it a great cure for removal of wound scars, acne scars and blemishes from your face and body.
- In Acne healing – A few medical experts also suggest regular application of this natural acid on acne prone parts of your face. It is supposed to be equipped with qualities which are great in acne and pimple healing. Read – Neem for Acne and Pimple Treatments
- Brings Elasticity to your skin – Going for a complete line of glycolic acid based cosmetics which includes cleanser, toner and moisturizer will keep your skin supple and refreshed.
- Gives Instant glow – Glycolic acid is used in facial peels too. These peels are intended to give an instant glow to the face and also, they also tighten the skin. Read – 6 Homemade Skin Toners for Glowing Skin
- For brighter skin – This acid is also helpful in skin resurfacing. Skin resurfacing is a process of skin smoothening which makes skin brighter and youthful. Read – 10 Natural Ayurvedic Creams For A Glowing & Fair Skin
- Seeps deep into the skin – Glycolic acid goes into the skin which makes it a great element for healing skin from within.
Repercussions of Glycolic Acid
Beauty experts suggest people to not use glycolic acid too frequently. An excessive use of glycolic acid on skin can leave you with numerous problems. The risks of over use of glycolic acids are documented below-
- It is very strong acid which can harmful for skin if its concentration is more than 10%, as only this concentration can be washed with water.
- And it is very important to use neutralizer post glycolic acid. Neutralizer washes off the access acid from your skin and prevents it from getting affected negatively.
- If you are using a chemical peel with glycolic acid, use is twice or once a month. Since these peels included 20-70% concentration of glycolic acid, more frequent of this use can cause tingling and other skin issues. And, if your skin is sensitive, make sure to consult your dermatologist before you use such peels.
- You must not forget to moisturize your skin after using glycolic acid based products or AHA based cosmetics, as high acid volume in these products make skin dry and patchy.
- Glycolic acid treated skin needs special care from sun, as it brings the new skin out which is more prone to sun damage.
- Glycolic acid is very impactful if used in right concentration and with proper care. Though, it is a natural acid derived from fruits but synthetic version of this acid is also available which is not considered as beneficial.Image Credit – 1