Your dry hair and skin could be because of your genetics. However, there are many other reasons like environment, aging and even a number of health reasons. Explore these reasons that cause dry hair and skin and the top 10 home remedies to keep them hydrated.
Main Causes for Dry Hair & Skin
Menopause is associated with several changes in the hair and skin. The drop in collagen, estrogen and other hormones could cause hair loss and dry skin. Because of the lack of hormones, glands don’t produce sufficient oil and the skin and hair become dry.
Hypothyroidism could slow down the release of thyroid hormone, which could affect metabolism. This could further make the skin dry and the hair brittle. Other symptoms of the condition include fatigue and enhanced sensitivity towards cold.
Environment and Chemicals
Hair and skin care products and the environment could also be the reason behind dry hair and skin. It could be caused because of harsh soaps that remove oils, lipids and water from the skin and hair.
The skin can become dry during the winters, while exposure to sunlight during the summers could damage elastin and collagen fibers. Even the air conditioner or heater could dry your hair and skin.
Home Remedies for Hydrating Dry Hair
1. Lemon – Apply lemon on the hair before you take a bath. Keep it applied for half an hour before taking the shower. Do this frequently and your hair will become hydrated and cleaner.
2. Raw Egg – Create a mixture of egg white with coconut oil in 2:1 ratio. Apply the mixture throughout the length of your hair.
3. Coconut and Almond Oil – Mix coconut and almond oil and warm it slightly. Massage this mixture on the hair but make sure that it doesn’t touch the scalp.
4. Honey – Add honey to vegetable oil and create a paste. This can help moisturize the hair in an effective way. Let it remain on the hair for 15 minutes before you shampoo it off.
5. Honey and Rice Milk – Create a mixture of 1 spoon honey in 1 cup rice milk and apply to the hair before taking a shower. Let it remain on the hair for 5-10 minutes before you rinse it off. It will not just make the hair shiny but also help get a sweet smell.
Home Remedies for Hydrating Dry Skin
1. Banana Peel – It has a number of nutrients that help in getting great skin. The peel has potassium, lutein, and vitamins B and C that help the skin become smooth and supple.
2. Avocado – Applying mashed avocado on the skin can help in replenishing all the essential nutrients. It contains potassium, beta-carotene, lecithin, vitamins A/D/E and essential fatty acids. The sterolins help in fighting age spots and moisturize the skin. You can also consume avocadoes.
3. Aloe Vera – Apply aloe vera on the skin surface for its nourishing and soothing effects. Amino acids, vitamins A, B, C, niacin and other ingredients help in making dry skin soft and protected from flaking.
4. Vinegar – If you have dry and itching skin, add a small amount of vinegar to the bath water. Soak the skin in the water for 15 minutes.
5. Drink Water – The simplest of home remedies is to drink a sufficient amount of water every day. It will help keep both your hair and skin moisturized. During dry weather conditions, your body keeps losing moisture at a fast rate. This leaves the skin dry, leading to flaking. The more water you drink, the lesser chances of your skin becoming dry.
These are the leading home remedies that can help you hydrate dry hair and skin.