Are you suffering from weak and fragile bones? If so, make it a point to check if you are at risk of developing osteoporosis. Once diagnosed with osteoporosis, you might opt for conventional treatment methods such as physical therapy, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), corticosteroid therapy, and surgery. However, all these treatments provide only short-term relief with few side effects.
Don’t worry! You can surely opt for many at-home remedies to get rid of side effects. These at-home remedies include natural ayurvedic treatments. But you can also try PEMF therapy to treat osteoporosis. Sounds new?
This article explains how you can manage your osteoporosis condition with the help of PEMF devices at home. Before getting into that topic, let us take a deep look at the causes and symptoms of osteoporosis.
What is osteoporosis?
‘Osteo’ refers to bone and ‘porosis’ refers to porous or empty. Osteoporosis is a systemic condition where your bone becomes porous, weak, and fragile. As a result, there will be a huge risk of breaking the bone. It occurs due to the loss of bone mass due to the injury of your skeletal system. (1)
At a young age, new bones develop faster than older ones. Hence, there will be an increase in the body mass, which reaches its peak. However, once you become older, you will observe a gradual reduction in bone density. The target areas of osteoporosis are the bones in the hip, forearm, and back. These bones constantly break due to wear and tear activities and get replaced.
What if new bones do not develop as the old bone gets replaced? You get osteoporosis, which develops steadily over the years. This condition usually does not evoke pain until you experience a fracture. Hence, osteoporosis is the most frequent cause of fractures among elders.
Also Read – Fibromyalgia: Symptoms, Causes, Simple and Effective Treatments
What are the causes of osteoporosis?
Let us go through the various factors that could develop the risk of osteoporosis: (2)
- Gender – Women are at higher risk than men
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Hyperthyroidism (excess production of thyroid hormone causes bone loss). It occurs if you consume thyroid medications for underactive thyroid treatment or your thyroid is overactive
- Overactive adrenal glands and parathyroid glands
- Kidney disease
- Alcohol and tobacco use can also weaken your bones
- Having sedentary lifestyles
- Reduced intake of calcium can develop reduced bone density, quicker bone loss, followed by fracture
- Ovary removal surgery
- Prostate cancer treatment for men due to the reduction of testosterone level
- Estrogen reduction, especially during the menopause stage, can increase the risk among females
- Hormonal reduction during cancer therapies
- Corticosteroid treatment
- Medication for cancer prevention, gastric reflux, and convulsions
- Graft rejection
- Anorexia (lower food consumption) causes a reduction in calcium, protein, and calorie count.
- A decline in sex hormones for both females and males
What are the signs and symptoms of osteoporosis?
In the initial stage, you do not experience any signs or symptoms. When the bones weaken due to osteoporosis, you undergo the following signs: (3)
- Back pain due to vertebral fracture or distortion
- Bent posture
- Bone fracture
- Loss of height
- Difficulty in performing routine activities
- Development of a fragile vertebral column, ribs, hip bone, and wrist bone
In the worst condition of osteoporosis, you will experience the following complications:
- Hip fractures due to falls followed by disability and death
- Weakening and tearing of spinal bones causing spinal fractures
How does PEMF treatment help in managing osteoporosis conditions at home?
PEMF represents Pulsed Electro Magnetic Fields. It is a traditional and non-invasive mode of treatment without any complications or the use of drugs. Furthermore, this treatment is used in most conditions like orthopedic issues, neuromuscular issues, sports injuries, hair problems, teeth problems, pain management, gynecological issues, cardiovascular issues, mental conditions, sleep disorders, metabolic issues, etc.
PEMF therapy uses pulsed electromagnetic waves at varying intensities and frequencies according to the target affected region. You can apply it to the entire body or on specific body parts.
Are you wondering what PEMF does in the case of osteoporosis? It gradually decreases the reduction of bone density and promotes the regeneration of fractured bones. These electromagnetic waves act on the cellular structures to stimulate the restoration of physiological conditions. Moreover, they help in slowing down mineral loss as well.
There will be a quick recovery in the membrane potential when it comes to nerves. Hence, PEMF stimulates an analgesic effect to decrease inflammation and pain. Furthermore, it restores ATP production at the optimal level to supply energy to the entire body’s cells.
In addition, PEMF treatment stimulates the transport of calcium ions to the bones. Hence it can consolidate the bone mass and heals the fracture by itself.
Where do we get PEMF waves?
Use PEMF devices to produce PEMF waves. Apply this PEMF instrument for at least 4-8 hours per day. You can continue this application for 3-6 months. Moreover, you can adjust the intensity that ranges from 50 to 100 Gauss depending on the target area.
You can apply PEMF treatment during the daytime if you are immobile. Those who lead an active life may not find time during the daytime. In that case, they can undergo this therapy for a prolonged session at night.
If osteoporosis is severe in your case, you can combine PEMF therapy with nutrition, exercise, or supplements according to your healthcare practitioner’s recommendation.
Is there any scientific evidence to prove the efficiency of PEMF in treating osteoporosis?
Yes. There are research works to prove the efficiency of PEMF treatment against osteoporosis. A 1990 clinical trial revealed that applying PEMF waves at 72 Hz on bones can treat osteoporosis conditions followed by its prevention (4). Another 2019 review article reported that PEMF could significantly retain bone mass and strength among osteoporosis patients (5).
A 2017 study showed that PEMF treatment could improve bone quality in type-2 diabetes patients (6). Another recent 2020 review article showed that PEMF treatment could be safe and efficient against osteoporosis. The patients with osteoporosis underwent PEMF treatment at the frequency of 100 Hz for one hour per day. This treatment was continued three times per week for 3 months. After three months, they experienced a significant improvement in bone mass density. Furthermore, PEMF application could drastically reduce pain and improve the quality of life among osteoporosis patients (7).
Would you like to opt for PEMF treatment to experience a significant positive effect on your bone mass density? Buy portable PEMF equipment for your own use. You can undergo PEMF treatment from the comfort of your home without visiting any physiotherapy or chiropractor clinic. You deserve quick and positive outcomes! So without further delay, get back to SentientLight, one of the reputed PEMF device providers in the United States, where they provide portable PEMF instruments at an affordable rate.
- “Osteoporosis” – mayoclinic.org
- “What Causes Osteoporosis? And Why?” – webmd.com
- “What Are the Symptoms of Osteoporosis?” – healthline.com
- “Bone density changes in osteoporosis-prone women exposed to pulsed electromagnetic fields (PEMFs)” – pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Pulsed electromagnetic fields: a promising treatment for osteoporosis” – pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Effects of low-intensity pulsed electromagnetic fields on bone microarchitecture, mechanical strength and bone turnover in type 2 diabetic db/db mice” – nature.com
- “Promising application of Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields (PEMFs) in musculoskeletal disorders” – sciencedirect.com
- “PEMF Devices: Why High Intensity machine is good for you?” – sentientlight.com