Everyday our skin gets rejuvenated- some cells die while new ones are also produced. The skin cells that are dead remain on the skin and cause it to appear dull and lifeless. Exfoliation is the process of removing dead skin cells from the skin surface. It makes the skin softer and full of life. In today’s post, we tell you how to exfoliate your skin and how often you should do it in order to get super smooth skin!
How to exfoliate your skin?
Exfoliation involves rubbing the skin with a loofah or a brush or with products that have granules which help remove the dead skin cells. We tell you how to do it.
- You would need a brush to first brush away any loose dead skin cells on the surface of the skin.
- Once done, wet the skin with some water or a wet towel.
- You can choose the exfoliating agent as per your wish. It can be a combination of a loofah and an exfoliating cleanser. Else you can use your hands and smooth in a store bought body scrub into your skin. Better still, you can can even make your own body scrub at home and use it for exfoliation.
- Bathing with a loofah and a cleanser maybe a part of your daily bathing ritual. So it will serve you better to use an actual body scrub with granules during your exfoliation.
- Apply the scrub liberally all over the body on the wet skin. Apply and rub it in circular motions and focus on the areas that are ridden with cellulite. On the rest of areas, do an up and down motion after scrubbing in circular motions. This will help unsettle the dead cells from the skin surface.
- You can use a body brush to make the scrubbing more effective and to reach hard to access areas like the back.
- Be gentle on areas where the skin is sensitive.
- Use a pumice stone to scrub the underside of your feet in order to get rid of calloused skin.
- Focus on your hands and the underarms as exfoliation will make them brighter and smoother.
- Let the scrub remain on the body while you go on to exfoliate the face. Do not use your body scrub for your face as it tends to be harsh. Use a face scrub suited for your skin type. If you tend to break out easily, it is best to pick a gentle scrub.
- Keep a warm towel on the face for a minute. This will open up the pores. Remove the towel and smooth in the scrub in circular motions on the face and neck. Avoid the eye area. Rub a little extra around the nose and under the chin since the area is prone to blackheads and whiteheads.
- You can also use a homemade exfoliating face scrub for this purpose.
- Allow it to stand on the skin for some time.
- Now shower with lukewarm water to remove all the remnants of the scrub from the skin. Wipe yourself dry and follow up with a body lotion. Apply a toner on your face and follow up with your moisturizer.
- Make this a part of your beauty regime in order to get smooth skin that is free from any dirt or impurities.
How often to exfoliate your skin?
- Exfoliating the body can be a weekly ritual that you do over the weekend.
- The skin on the face tends to be more oily and more prone to dust and pollution. Hence, you can use a face scrub twice a week for best results.
Now that you know how to exfoliate your skin, do not forget this important aspect of skin care if you are looking for skin that is smooth and silky.
Image credit: Featured, 1, 2