Breast reduction surgeries are very common but are you guys aware about breast nipple surgery? Breast nipple surgery is about many different cosmetic procedures that are used for the purpose of correction, enhancement, or reduction of the nipple or areola, which is the brownish area around the nipple. This treatment is available for both men as well as women. The nipple surgery has been gaining popularity in recent times.
Why is nipple surgery performed?
Nipple surgery is mainly performed to decrease the appearance or size of the nipples. There are many kind of nipple surgery and they are nipple reduction, nipple augmentation, and nipple repair and nipple reconstruction. Nipple surgery is also performed to decrease the size of the areolas which is the dark pigmented area around the nipples. This surgery is mostly done during the breast reduction surgery, reconstructive surgery or breast lift.
Also Read – 15 Ways to Get Rid of Breast Reduction Scars Here
Best candidates for nipple surgery are:
Candidates who have following issues:
- Enlarged nipples
- Asymmetric nipples
- Enlarged or puffy areolas
- Inverted or indented nipples
Before the nipple reduction surgery, schedule a consultation with a certified plastic surgeon and discuss the issue you are facing. After the discussion the surgeon will be able to guide you with an apt surgery for you.
Nipple surgery procedure:
Nipple surgery is basically nipple correction surgery and this surgery depends on the type of nipple correction you require and the technique that is going to be used by your surgeon. Get all the details regarding the nipple correction surgery from your surgeon. Generally the surgery is taken place under local anesthesia and the surgery will last for around an hour or so. An incision will be made in the nipple or areola. If the requirement is to treat an enlarged nipple then certain skin will be removed. Nipple reduction surgery will shorten nipple, width, length or do both.
Also Read – Breast Reduction Surgery for Women- Should You Go For It or Not Here
If the nipple surgery is being performed to repair an inverted nipple then the incision will be made near the base of the nipple on the areola. From here the nipple and areola tissue will be taken and stitched in a new position. The surgery usually does not require you to stay overnight unless you have certain difficulties post-surgery.
Healing post nipple surgery
- Post the nipple surgery, the breasts might sore for a few days. Therefore you will need to take painkiller’s to address the discomfort.
- Nipple surgery recovery process is entirely dependent on the extent of your surgery however there is not much to worry as it is usually short lived.
- Certain bruising and swelling is common. The surgeon will put bandages in order to minimize the swelling and discomfort subsides gradually.
- Post-surgery pain is dealt with prescription or over-the-counter pain medications.
- The medication for pain may increase your risk of bleeding post nipple surgery and it needs to be avoided.
- You may also experience nipple hypersensitivity post-surgery however this one is temporary too.
- You may also be required to wear a surgical bra. It should be worn only after consulting the surgeon.
- If you notice any kind of infection immediately get in touch with your surgeon.
Complications and Risks involved with nipple surgery are:
- Excessive bruising
- Nerve damage
- Dissatisfaction with the cosmetic results
- Hematoma (pooling of blood outside the blood vessel which my clot)
Other than these, if you plan to breast feed in the future then you need to inform about this to your surgeon well in advance as nipple surgery can affect your ability to nurse.
Nipple surgery cost:
Nipple surgery fees can range from $1,600 to $2,500. This fee is inclusive of anesthesia, surgeon’s fee as well as the facility fee. Other than this there can be other costs that are associated with nipple surgery.
Also Read – Breast Reduction Pills – An Easy Substitute to Complicated Surgery Here