Chyawanprash is a mixture of several ingredients combined in measures determined by the traditional methods of Ayurveda. It is one of the oldest combinations whose health benefits have been known to man since the Vedic and the Puranic ages. It is a sticky, jam-like deep brown coloured semi-solid substance with a mixture of sweet, sour and spicy tastes.
Ingredients of Chyawanprash
Some of the main ingredients of Chyawanprash are
- Amla or Indian gooseberry.
- Ashtavarga, a combination of eight ingredients like Riddhi, Jeevak etc.
- Bamboo Manna, rich in water and silica
- Oxide of Mica
- Safed Chandan , a bitter yet cooling sedative and also acts as an astringent
- Safed muesli, an extremely good health tonic
- Elaichi, an appetizer and carminatice
- Satawari is a cool and bitter drug
- Nagkeshar which is also bitter but has a nice aroma.
Other than the ingredients mentioned above Chyawanprash also comprises of many other herbs and spices. Hence ingredients like clove, cinnamon, galls, honey, sesame oil, sugar, Malabar nut etc., are also used in various quantities.
Benefits of Chyawanprash
Known as a youth elixir, it is systemic in its approach towards the various ailments of the human body. With virtually no side effects, this mixture can be safely taken by people across all ages and geographical areas.
Chyawanprash is well known for its numerous health benefits some of which are
- Helps to increase the resistance of the human body to various diseases like the common cold and other respiratory complications. This is primarily done by activating and stimulating the immune system of the body.
- Acts as a detoxifying agent thereby helping to remove unwanted and harmful toxins primarily from the blood and also from the pancreas, intestines and liver.
- Helps in a major way to relieve the body and mind of stress and depression. In fact people with chronic syndrome of fatigue have benefitted from regular use of Chyawanprash.
- Extremely beneficial in arresting cardiac problems. This is done by improving the general properties of blood like increase of haemoglobin thereby preventing anaemia, decreasing bad cholesterol etc. This, in turn, also helps to keep the blood pressure normal thereby reducing the chances of a heart attack. It has also been known to strengthen the cardiac muscles. As a consequence the flow of blood occurs smoothly throughout the human body.
- Helps to normalise the functioning of the endocrine system as well as the gastrointestinal tract. This gives enormous relief to people suffering from disorders like flatulence, acidity etc.
- Enhances the mental faculties by improving memory and also giving a boost to ones learning abilities.
- Has a very positive effect of the basic metabolic rate of the body thereby reducing excess body weight.
- Also helps to deter growth and formation of harmful tumour cells and at the same time prepares the body to fight the after effects of chemotherapy.
In addition to the above benefits, Chyawanprash is also known to reduce menstrual problems in women and offer a cure for frigidity and impotence.
Image Credit – 1