Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is recognized to be an issue for 15 percent of Americans, as per the studies revealed from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. People suffering from restless legs syndrome have the urge to keep moving their legs. They always have an uncontrollable urge to move their legs. Their legs are twitching or jerking. This is because they are experiencing the sensation of something squirming or wiggling under their skin.
As a consequence of restless leg syndrome, an individual might suffer from issues that’re associated with it like sleep deprivation, such as anxiety and depression.
As per studies, the reasons are connected to lung, heart, kidney disorders, arthritis, circulation disorders etc. At times even excessive caffeine or too little exercise can trigger the restless Legs Syndrome.
There are many home remedies that are designed specially to combat Restless Legs Syndrome.
1. Control your caffeine consumption: The caffeine consumption for instance: tea, Coffee, sodas, chocolate, and even over-the-counter (OTC) medications does contain caffeine. So decrease the consumption of such caffeine-containing foods and check if there is any change in the condition. It is good if you control the alcohol and tobacco intake as both of them contain stimulant nicotine which deprives you of sleep.
Also Read – Health Benefits of Caffeine-free Herbal Coffee Here
2. Walk regularly: Walking around is a great way to fight the Restless Legs Syndrome as it will help to calm down the legs and allow to keep them still when you are off to sleep.
3. Drink lot of water: Increase your water consumption all through the day and in the evening.
4. Apple cider vinegar: Consume apple cider vinegar especially at bedtime in tablet form.
Also Read – Join the Detox Bandwagon with Apple Cider Vinegar Here
5. Consume more of iron rich food: Include more of iron rich food in your daily diet like dark green vegetables, kidney beans, wheat germ and lean beef. Iron is a protein that stores oxygen in the muscles until it is required to use. In the absence of iron, myoglobin cannot hold enough oxygen, and muscle issues could develop.
6. Exercise regularly: Exercising is very important to avoid Restless leg syndrome. You must involve yourself in some kind of physical exercise. If not walking then at least some stretches. Avoid exercising at bedtime.
7. Increase your intake of folic acid: To fight the restless leg syndrome, you must increase your folic acid B vitamin intake and this is because folic acid helps in building red blood cells which is responsible to oxygenate the blood.
8. Stay away from cold and sinus medications: The cold as well as sinus medication can aggravate the restless legs syndrome.
9. Bathtub remedy: Sit in a bathtub filled with hot water for 10 to 15 minutes before you going to sleep. You can also try cold pack on the legs. Combination of the heat and cold treatments is also recommended.
10. Keep soap under the sheets: Most of the people with restless leg syndrome have claimed that keeping soap under the bed sheets do help big time. This works well for leg cramps too.
11. Chamomile tea: Drinking chamomile tea helps to induce sleep so it is very good to combat restless leg syndrome.
Also Read – 4 Reasons to Replace your Regular Tea with Chamomile Tea Here
12. Get a massage: A good relaxing massage will help in relieving restless leg syndrome.
13. Keep yourself busy: You can try out certain activity which will stimulate the brain and will help to control restless leg syndrome.
14. Have sex: As per studies indulging in regular sex can relieve the symptoms associated with restless leg syndrome.
15. Indulge in progressive muscle relaxation: You can try out muscle relaxation at bedtime. For this you need to breathe deeply for some minutes, after that tense the muscles in your feet. Hold on the tension for a few minutes and then relax. Later tense your calf muscles hold it and then relax. Repeat the same with your thigh muscle. Once you do this you will feel relaxed.
16. Warm soak: You try to indulge your legs in a warm soak in a tub before the bed time. In the warm soak add apple cider vinegar, Epsom salts, or baking soda.