You are quite aware of the excellent skin benefits of coconut oil, right? It can make your skin soft, smooth and healthy in a natural way, while improving your complexion to a great extent. Well, this is not all about this ‘magic potion’. Being anti-bacterial and anti-fungal by nature, it can help you get rid of stubborn acne too. Read on below to know more.
Which Coconut Oil should You Use for Acne?
When it comes to treating acne with coconut oil, choosing the highest quality refined version over the crude and unrefined one is always the best. Try to purchase virgin or extra virgin coconut oil, which is known to be the most effective variety. It might be pricier than other common versions available in the market, but is absolutely hygienic and pure. It is even better to pick an organic one instead of the regular varieties so that you can enjoy the best acne treatment ever.
Also Read – 10 Health Benefits of Coconut Oil Here
External Usage of Coconut Oil for Acne Treatment
Coconut oil is mostly used externally for healing as well as eliminating acne. Here is the step-by-step procedure that you can follow for this purpose:
- Start with steaming your face so that the clogged skin pores open up. Heat up some water in a large pot and take it out of the flame as soon as it begins to steam. Cover your entire head with a towel and bend a little over the steaming water (maintain a safe distance so that you don’t end up burning your facial skin) to treat your face with the steam. As an alternative, you can wet a clean towel by dipping it into hot water, squeeze out the extra water and then spread it all over your face evenly. In both cases, you have to wait for at least 15 minutes to get the best results.
- Now, take 1 teaspoon of pure and organic virgin or extra virgin coconut oil and apply it onto your face (avoiding the sensitive areas like under eyes and around the lips). Move your fingertips in gentle circular motion throughout the cheeks, chin and forehead.
- Massage for a few minutes so that the oil goes through the pores and reaches deep into the skin. Let it sit for next 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then, wash your face off with your favorite mild facial cleanser or a cold-processed soap. Pat it dry with a soft clean towel and then apply a light moisturizer.
Internal Usage of Coconut Oil for Acne Treatment
Apart from external application, coconut oil can also be taken internally to speed up the healing of stubborn acne by fighting off the bacteria. According to experts, you should not take more than 3 tablespoons of coconut oil orally on a daily basis and it should be distributed throughout the day as 1 tablespoon after each considerable meal.
Also Read – How to Make a Coconut Body Scrub Here
Few Tips to Remember
- A combination of both external and internal applications of coconut oil can help you the most in your way to remove acne.
- It is recommended that you apply it externally at least twice a day – in the morning and at night before bedtime.
- You can even use the oil topically all through the day by maintaining a gap of 4 hours between every two applications.
- If you are a patient of high blood pressure or hypertension, stay away from oral consumption of coconut oil.