Macadamia nuts are native to Australia and the oil that is extracted from the nut is used for cooking and in the moisturizer and fragrance formulations. Its fatty acids profile is unparalleled and it is also rich in copper, iron, magnesium and manganese. The oil that is extracted from the macadamia nuts has a monounsaturated fatty acid content that is higher than that of olive oil. It is rich in omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants which make it a wonderful ingredient for great skin and hair. We tell you here the benefits of macadamia nut oil for skin and hair.
Constituents of Macadamia Nuts and their properties
- Oleic Acid – It is this fatty acid because of which macadamia nut oil gets its moisturizing and cell regenerating properties.
- Palmitoleic Acid – Macadamia nut oil is the richest source of Palmitoleic acid. It is important for delaying the aging of skin and body cells.
- Phytosterols – They are the building blocks of the cell membrane.
- They are a rich source of squalene, an antioxidant present in the skin which protects the skin from sun induced oxidation.
Benefits of Macadamia Nut oil for Skin
1. Moisturizing : The oil is easily absorbed into the skin and leaves no residue, unlike even coconut oil. It has a nutty fragrance and it makes your skin really soft!
2. Anti Aging : Palmitoleic acid decreases in the skin with age and applying macadamia oil restores that, and speeds up your skin regeneration process. It slows down the rate of maturity of the skin and keeps it youthful and supple.
Also Read – 10 Homemade Anti Aging Face Masks for Wrinkles Here
3. Sun Protection : Since macadamia nut oil protects the skin from sun induced oxidation, it is an ingredient in most sun-protection products. If you are stepping out in not so harsh sun, you can chuck the sunscreen and use the natural macadamia oil instead.
Also read – 8 Natural Homemade Sunscreen Recipes Here
4. Anti-inflammatory : Macadamia nut oil is anti-inflammatory. It is also rich in anti-oxidants. This makes it an excellent choice for soothing skin rashes and sun burns. It is also non-comedogenic, so you can go ahead and use it on acne prone and sensitive skin too!
Benefits of Macadamia Nut Oil for Hair
1. Moisturizing: The same thing we said for the skin applies here too. Not just that, macadamia nut oil mimics the properties of sebum and keeps your hair follicles strong and healthy without any of the problems associated with oily hair, since it gets absorbed easily and is light weight. The oil coats the follicles and the hair shaft and prevents the loss of moisture from the hair.
2. Hair rejuvenation : The vitamin E in the oil helps in rejuvenating the hair. Massage your hair with it regularly for added shine and bounce.
3. UV protection : Smooth some macadamia nut oil on the hair before you step out in the sun. It acts as an amazing sun protection.
How to use Macadamia nut Oil for skin and hair?
The benefits of Macadamia nut oil for skin and hair are so many that there is no way you can skip using it. It is light and easily absorbed. It makes for an awesome choice of carrier oil too. So you can mix in your favorite essential oil into it for added benefit. Here is how you can use macadamia nut oil for skin and hair
- You can use it to gently cleanse the skin everyday and to remove makeup.
- The oil can be mixed with your favorite essential oil and used for a massage to tone the skin.
- Macadamia nut oil can be used overnight as an anti-aging emollient.
- Slather on some oil onto your entire body each day after shower for soft and supple skin.
- In home made face packs and scrubs that use olive oil, you can use macadamia oil instead.
- Massage it onto the hair before shampooing for bouncy hair.
- It can also be smoothed into the hair after the last rinse in order to condition the hair.
- Use it in hair masks to deep condition your hair.
So go ahead and make macadamia oil a part of your beauty regimen and you will thank us for introducing you to such a versatile oil.
Image credit: Featured, 1, 2