Apricot kernel oil is derived from the dry fruit- apricot. It is light coloured and fragrant. The oil is edible and is used in cooking as a healthy substitute to regular oil since it is rich in oleic and linoleic acid. It is nutritious and rich in vitamins A,C and E. As a result, it also is great for the skin and is used in many cosmetic and medicinal preparations.
How is apricot kernel oil great for the skin?
As with any oil, apricot kernel oil has a great moisturizing property. It is light and does not clog pores, so it makes nice moisturizing oil for all skin types. Being rich in vitamin E, it helps in the rejuvenation of the skin. It is extensively used in face creams, serums and soaps. Rather than going in for a chemical preparation, you could use apricot oil directly on the skin as a moisturizer. It is readily absorbed in the skin without leaving behind any grease on the skin.
The monosaturated fats in apricot kernel oil have skin restorative properties. This makes apricot oil an excellent anti-aging product. Massaging your face with apricot oil helps in toning and firming up your facial muscles. The vitamin A and Vitamin E in the apricot oil also fight skin aging.
Also Read – 10 Homemade Anti Aging Face Masks for Wrinkles Here
Helps acne prone skin:
The apricot kernel oil has anti-inflammatory properties. This helps in reducing the inflammation caused by acne. It is suitable for all skin types. Being light and non-comedogenic, it is great for acne-prone skin as a moisturizer.
Also Read – Neem for Acne and Pimple Treatments Here
Just like almond oil, apricot oil is wonderful for the hair since it is rich in vitamins. It adds lustre to the hair without making it too greasy. Massaging it on the hair before shampoo will help you get shiny hair and better texture.
As a carrier oil:
Apricot oil, with its light texture and mild fragrance is versatile carrier oil for other essential oils. Simply add a few drops of your favourite essential oil to it and use it as aromatherapy massage oil.
How to use Apricot Kernel oil?
- First of all, ensure you are buying really good quality apricot oil that has been certified edible. You can start off by adding this into your salads and regular cooking to get all the goodness from apricot oil internally.
- Use it directly as a moisturizer- after bath, before you go to sleep. It is light on the skin, so you can use it without worrying about your skin breaking out.
- Replace your regular hair oil with apricot kernel oil and use it to massage your hair and the roots for a good ten minutes and leave it on for an hour before shampoo.
- After a hair wash, you can simply rub a few drops of oil into your palm and then run your palms on your hair to tame your mane before styling.
- Mix a few drops of your favourite essential oil in half a cup of apricot kernel oil and use it for a body massage.
- Drizzle this healthy oil into your home made scrub and see how it transforms your skin!
Image Credit – 1,2,3