Premature hair problems have been the bane of men and women for ages. Many remedies have been put forth and practised with the hope to find a cure for the same. Ayurveda, however, addresses the root cause of hair loss and treats it in such a way that the problem gets alleviated permanently.
Causes for hair fall put forth by Ayurveda
Nourishment for the hair generally comes from the nutrients that we take in by way of food. But excess body heat can act as a deterrent to hair growth. In Ayurveda, this is known as “Pitta Dosh” and is said to be the major cause of hair fall. Also this “dosh” gets aggravated due to the hot weather prevalent in India. Some other reasons for hair loss are
- Hormonal imbalance both in men and women
- Clogging of the pores of the scalp by sebum
- Improper nutrition
- Stress and anxiety leading to lack of sleep
- Some chronic diseases like typhoid, anaemia etc.
- Strong medicines
- Dandruff, accumulation of dirt on the scalp and fungal infection.
What Ayurveda suggests
According to Ayurveda, the only way to control hair fall is to keep the balance of the “pitta” in the body. This can be achieved by
- Following a good balanced diet,
- Practising yoga,
- Meditating as well as
- Going in for regular oil massage with hair enhancing herbs.
The personal diet can be improved to prevent hair fall by the inclusion of the following
- Aloe Vera Juice: It is rich in proteolytic enzymes. This ensures that the nutrition reaches the core of the hair roots by removing dead and flaky scalp cells. Also read “Healing properties of Aloe Vera” here.
- Sesame Seeds: It is rich in magnesium and calcium, both of which actively support the growth of hair. Sesame seeds should be taken at breakfast every day.
- Green leafy vegetables: These are a rich source of many vitamins and nutrients and hence help to improve the strength of the hair thereby preventing hair fall.
- Fresh juice: Juice which has been freshly extracted from carrot, lettuce and spinach, if taken regularly, helps to stop hair loss.
Head Massage Oils of Ayurveda
A head massage is a great way of ensuring proper blood circulation of the scalp. This ensures that oxygenated blood keeps reaching the hair follicles. This in turn induces the growth of hair and prevents hair fall. Some of the Ayurvedic oils which are very good for giving a head massage are
- Bhringaraj Oil: This oil when massaged onto the scalp, not only acts on damaged, brittle hair but also helps to strengthen the hair.
- Coconut oil: This is a great cure for dull and damaged hair. It also stimulates the regeneration and rejuvenation of hair by unclogging pores of the scalp and imparting strength to the hair.
- Rosemary Oil: This is a salubrious herb, well-known for its benefits with regards to the beauty of the hair and skin. It also helps to cure major problems of
- Itchy, flaky scalp
- Reducing hair fall and
- Alleviating premature greying of hair.
Along with this, herbs like amla, shikakai, reetha etc., too provide nourishment to the hair and helps to stimulate the growth of hair. Some yogic asanas like pawanmuktasana, apanasana, swasana and sarvangasana also help to treat the problem of hair loss. This hair loss correction is done from within the body thereby promoting the growth of thick, luxurious hair.
Also Read – 10 best Natural Oils for Your Hair