When it comes to our hair, we don’t want to be complacent. Our hair deserves the best of our attention. However, when it comes to a regular beauty regimen, most people conveniently forget their hair. Wouldn’t it be great if you could just have something that takes care of your hair on its own? Then you could leave your hair to this new found miracle and rest easy.
Fortunately there are such miracles, and these are called essential oils. Essential oils are extracted from plant sources and therefore have all the natural goodness of their parent plants. These are extremely therapeutic and can be used for a number of things. However, it is recommended that you use these essential oils with caution because if you use them indiscriminately, they could be harmful to you.
Here are some of the most popular essential oils to help rejuvenate your hair and grow them:
- Jojoba Oil: For hundreds of years, native Americans have used the extracts of the Jojoba plant for conditioning their hair. The best thing about this essential oil is that its molecular makeup is very similar to the natural oils or sebum produced by the human scalp. Therefore, jojoba oil is absorbed into the scalp much more readily than any other oil. The good news is, it is not very difficult to add this oil to your hair care regimen. Just add a few drops of it to your shampoo or your conditioner and you will be giving your hair some much needed nourishment.
- Wheat Germ Oil: Wheat germ is the central portion of the wheat grain. This part is rich in oils and nutrients. When you use this oil for your hair and scalp, you get all its nutrients too. Wheat germ oil stimulates hair follicles and allows new hairs to grow. It also strengthens hair roots and makes them stronger and more resilient to damage. Wheat germ oil is great when used on its own, but using it with a mixture of coconut milk and aloe vera can greatly improve its therapeutic value.
- Lavender Oil: The essential oil from the lavender flowers is ideal for those who have dry scalp and damaged hair. Weak and damaged hair are usually caused due to an undernourished scalp. Lavender oil is intrinsically warm. So when you massage your scalp with it, the blood vessels in your scalp dilate. This brings a surge of blood and nutrients into your scalp, nourishing hair roots and improving overall quality of your hair. This is the ideal treatment for dry, damaged hair.
- Almond Oil: Almonds are one of the healthiest foods available to man. Almond essential oil, though very expensive, is very good for your hair and scalp. Almond oil contains both vitamins E and D. These are both great for improving hair quality and strength. Stronger hair are more resilient to damage and breakage, flowing long and lustrous. Regular massage with almond essential oil, mixed with a vegetable carrier oil such as coconut oil, can increase growth and lustre, decreasing dandruff, scalp inflammation and hair loss. Read more – The Benefits of Almond Oil on Hair and Skin
- Rosemary Oil: Another herb from your kitchen, rosemary is used for its aroma. If you are plagued by prematurely graying hairs, rosemary oil is the answer to all your problems. It stimulates blood supply to the scalp, improving nourishment to your roots. Apart from rosemary oil, you can also steep rosemary leaves in water and use this water to rinse your hair. This will help you retain your hair color for longer. You can also add a few drops of rosemary essential oil in olive oil and massage your scalp with it.
- Peppermint Oil: Peppermint oil stimulates any part of the body that you apply it to. So when you apply it to your scalp, your scalp is also stimulated. Dilute the oil with some water and apply it on your scalp, leaving it overnight.
All these oils are known for their therapeutic properties. Do use them with carrier oils though. You can use olive or coconut oil as carriers, adding just a few drops of essential oils into the base oil.