Do you love aerated drinks?? Do you often stack up your fridge with your favourite soft drink? Well, then you really need to know how much you could be abusing your body with this habit of yours. YES!! Soft drinks do influence your health and in fact it can be pretty dangerous to health too. While the debate over whether to ban soft drinks or not would persist you can be the best judge for your life and take a call on whether to cut it out or not. I shall give you not one but ten reasons to avoid consuming soft drinks.
1. Sugar overdose: One Can of Soda equals to 10 teaspoons of sugar. This sugar, especially in liquid form can elevate the blood sugar leading to an insulin reaction in the body. The consequence of which will eventually be diabetics, weight gain and of course other health problems.
2. Use of Artificial flavours and colours: The soft drinks contain potassium benzoate, caramel colouring and food colouring. Caramel colouring is a potential carcinogen (cancer causing) as it is made by heating sugar with ammonia or ammonium compounds. Benzoates are used as preservatives basically. Food dyes are also known to contribute towards various health issues like allergies, brain tumour, cancer, thyroid, kidney tumours, ADD/ADHD, adrenal tumours as well as hyper sensitivity reactions.
3. Direct invitation to Osteoporosis: Aerated soft drinks contain phosphoric acid, which leads to depletion in blood calcium levels and calcium happens to be the key element of the bone matrix. Less concentration of calcium in the body eventually leads to Osteoporosis.
4. Contains Caffeine: Generally beverages contain caffeine which has proved to cause certain cancers, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, breast lumps and other issues too.
5. Can lead to Kidney stones and Obesity: As per studies, consumption of 2 or more cola’s a day can lead to increased risk of chronic kidney disease. As per the researchers of Harvard, soft drinks consumption can make you obese. As per the study, 12 year olds who consume soda have a greater chance to be obese than those who don’t and for each serving per day, the risk of obesity increases 1.6 times.
6. Zero nutritional value: Soft drinks have zero nutritional value. Soda is basically an unnatural substance so it only harms the body.
7. Gum disease and cavities: If had regularly, then it will lead to plaque build up on the teeth which cause cavities as well as gum diseases.
8. Contains high fructose corn syrup: Your soda might also have high fructose corn syrup which comes from corn. Now these corn are mostly genetically modified therefore there are no long term studies to prove the safety of this genetically modified crops. The genetic modification of crops has been there only since the 1990s. The process of making High Fructose Corn Syrup also makes use of traces of mercury, which is said to cause numerous long term health problems.
9. Contains chemicals from tap water: Making of Beverages is usually with regular tap water which might generally contain chemicals like chlorine, fluoride and traces of heavy metals as well.
10. Plastic bottles contain toxic chemical: Plastic soda bottle in which the soft drink is stored apparently contains biphenol A (BPA) which can lead to immune system depression. Public health experts have already warned to protect children from the exposure to products that have BPA- particularly to those who consume them on a regular basis.
As a substitute to Soda you can opt for other healthier drinks like fresh fruit juices, water, tea etc. Tea especially helps to lift your energy plus there are so many varieties in tea in this day and age. It is very important to safeguard your health therefore why waste your money on soda and harm yourself? Instead lead a healthy lifestyle and say NO to soft drinks!