Shin splints- the word may be or may not be new to you, for those who have heard this term for the first time we will give you a complete explanation on the term.
Okay so have if you ever experienced some kind of extreme pain in your shinbone whenever you do some kind of physical activity either run or walk then you could be suffering from shin splints. Treating Shin Splints can be challenging as there is a lot to deal with however some effort and time will help you achieve it. Shin splints are basically the pain that an individual feels in the shinbone. People who usually succumb to such pain are majorly sportsmen, athletes etc. who put themselves through rigorous workout. Shin splints are caused due to the inflammation of the muscle or tissue in the frontal portion of the lower leg and this will lead to a continual strain on the shin.
Also Read – Home Remedies for Lower Back Pain
Let us know the home remedies that can be helpful to ease the pain or to treat shin splints:
1. Ice pack: This one is the easiest and common household remedy almost everybody has access to it too. Just get a couple of ice packs, the bigger the better. Place the ice pack on the painful shin. See that the whole area is covered with the ice pack. Keep it on for around 10-15 minutes. You can try this as many times as you are comfortable throughout the day.
2. Heat pack: Heat packs also work well to quickly heal the pain that is caused due to shin splints. Heat pack can be made by simple hot towel. Just apply hot towel on the affected area and leave it on for about 20 minutes. You can also try warm towel soaked in mixture of Epsom salt and water. This will help in relieving the discomfort as well as the pain that is caused by shin splints.
3. Bandage: You can apply a tape or an Ace bandage with a neoprene sleeve in the area surrounding the shin. The tape will help in compressing the muscles and thus will restrict the muscle movement and speeds up the healing process.
4. Elevation: Elevating your legs by raising the injured shin area can provide some relief to the injury and reduce the swelling as well as draining the fluid away from the area that is injured.
5. Ginger root: Ginger root compress is commonly used by the athletes to provide relief to shin splints. Take about 4 cups of warm water, into it steep an inch of ginger root. Do not boil the water, simply strain it. Dip a clean towel in this water, rinse out the excess water and then wrap this towel around the shin. Place it on for 10 minutes until it cools down and repeat this treatment.
6. Rolling Pin: Press a rolling pin gently on the calf. Apply pressure on the area where you feel the hardness or knots. This will help in relieving the shin splints.
7. Make changes in your exercise routine: An improper exercise routine can also results in shin splints. Include more of warm-up routines in your exercise as well as muscle relaxing exercises. Too much physical training can also result in shin splints therefore take care not to overdo your exercises.
8. Heat and ice treatment: You can also try the alternate heat and ice treatment. For this, apply the ice pack for a minute, and then follow it with a hot towel wrap for the next minute. Do this 5 times in a stretch.
9. Ice dipping: Ice dipping too is an effective remedy for shin splints. Take tub and fill it with water, add big chunks of ice into it and dip your leg into the tub until the shin level and leave it for 10 seconds and then take your leg out. Repeat this method.
10. Rest: Resting your legs is the best way to relieve yourself from the pain. Lie down as much as possible and even if you have to walk do that slowly.
Also Read – Finding the Right Shoes for Workout
Image Credit – Featured, 1