Do you really think that henna is meant only for covering those grays on your head in a natural way? If yes, then let me reveal the actual truth. Henna is a ‘magic’ herb that not only gives our hair a beautiful reddish brown tint, but also makes it frizz-free, lively and manageable. It is a safer as well as cheaper alternative to commercially available hair care and styling products and you can easily turn your dry, frizzy and completely damaged hair into smooth, sleek and glossy locks just by using it every fortnight.
What Can Henna Do for Fixing Damaged Hair?
Now, the question is why should you use henna for your rough, damaged and unruly hair? What can it actually do for the benefits of your hair? The following list will give you the best possible answer:
- Henna makes the hair strands stronger from the roots. It gets soaked into the hair follicles very easily and provides nourishment to the hair roots, thereby reducing the chances of breakage and making the hair more manageable.
- It plays a key role in repairing the damaged hair cuticles (the hard surface layer that works as the protective cover for every single hair strand), which keeps the internal hair cells saved from harm. Hence, all hair shafts get healed efficiently.
- Being a natural hair conditioner, henna can induce lots of moisture in your locks and condition them to a great extent. As a result, your dry and frizzy hair becomes well-moisturized and extremely soft.
- It can help us maintain the pH balance of both the scalp and the hair, which is essential for keeping the scalp hydrated, reducing dandruff and averting the formation of split ends.
Also Read – Our Top 5 Mehndi Henna Kits Here
In short, henna can take great care of our dry and unhealthy hair and reverse the damages caused to by pollution, chemical treatments, heat treatments or dehydration.
How to Use Henna for Fixing Damaged Hair?
- Henna powder – 5 tablespoons or depending upon the length of your hair (try to use herbal or organic henna)
- Plain yogurt – 3 tablespoons
- Lemon – 1 large
- Egg – 1 whole
- Black tea – 1 cup
- Lukewarm water – as required
If you wish, you can also add 1 teaspoon of nutmeg powder, 7 to 8 drops of lavender oil and your favorite herbal hair oil to these.
Also Read – How to Get a Darker Colour With Henna? Here
Preparation and Application:
- It is recommended that you prepare the henna mix in an iron bowl as it helps the herb release the maximum color. Otherwise, a glass or a plastic bowl will be alright. Pour the henna powder into it. Add yogurt and black tea to the powder and keep beating everything together until a thick paste is formed.
- Squeeze out the juice of the lemon into it and mix well. Then, let the entire concoction sit for 3 to 4 hours.
- Now, beat the egg nicely in a separate bowl. Add it to the previous mixture. Stir with a spoon so that it turns a bit slippery.
- Pour lukewarm water into the mixture and try to come up with a consistency that will make it drip off the spoon.
- Now, put plastic gloves on both of your hands and start applying the henna mix to your hair. You can also make use of a dye brush for this purpose.
- Divide your hair into small sections and apply the paste thoroughly. Reach the tips of the hair gradually starting from the roots and make sure than every single hair strand is coated properly.
- Secure your hair into a bun on the top of your head and cover your entire head with a shower or plastic cap.
- After 3 to 4 hours, wash off with lukewarm water to find softer, smoother, and shinier hair.