Human body requires different types of minerals for proper functioning. Magnesium and sulfur are two such elements that are very important but unfortunately, they are often the most ignored elements.
Magnesium: Research shows that Magnesium is responsible for controlling 325 enzymes. This element is the second most abundantly available element in body cells of humans. It helps in energy production, regulating electrical impulses, controlling muscles and even helps in removing harmful toxins from our body.
Sulfates: Sulfates on the other hand are responsible for formation of proteins lining up the digestive tract walls, joint proteins and brain tissues. Digestive enzymes generation is aided by sulfates through stimulation of pancreas. They also help in detoxification of the body.
The problem: Studies show that when taken internally, neither magnesium nor sulfate is properly absorbed by the stomach.
The solution: Soaking in Epsom salt bath is more effective because skin readily absorbs both magnesium and sulfates.
So, what exactly is Epsom Salt?
Epsom salt is composed of Magnesium and Sulfate that occur naturally. The chemical formula for this salt is (MgSO4.7H2O).
So, what are the health benefits of Epsom salt?
There are number of health benefits of Epsom salt but most of us barely know about these benefits. Here is a quick list of the various health benefits that are associated with this compound:
- Epsom salt helps to flush out heavy metals and other harmful toxins from the body cells and this helps to deal with muscle pain.
- This salt helps the body to use insulin more effectively and hence, severity and even incidence of diabetes are reduced.
- Magnesium naturally relieves stress and during periods of heavy stress, huge amounts of magnesium are drained out of the body. Magnesium is known for binding with serotonin in brain which helps people to relax by giving them a sense of wellbeing.
- Epsom salt helps to improve nutrient and oxygen absorption in body.
- Nerve functions are improved by regulating electrolytes in the body. The primary conductor for electrical impulses within a human body is calcium and calcium requires magnesium for proper functioning.
- Epsom salt helps to reduce irregular heartbeat, improves circulatory and heart health, lowers blood pressure, reduces blood clot and prevents the arteries from becoming hard.
- It eases and prevents migraine headaches.
How to use Epsom salt?
Epsom salt is easily available in drug stores. You need to add two cups of the salt in your bath water and soak in it for a minimum of 12 minutes. This must be repeated 3 days a week. In case you are pregnant, consider consulting your doctor before using Epsom salt bath.
Magnesium Benefits [Laires, Maria José, Cristina Paula Monteiro, and Manuel Bicho. “Role of cellular magnesium in health and human disease.” Front Biosci 9.262 (2004): 76.]