As we people are getting more and more conscious about our skin and hair, the beauty industry is also getting flooded by natural, less-harmful products. One of these latest trends is sulfate-free shampoo. You may have already heard a lot about the potential side effects of sulfate shampoos and wondered whether using a sulfate-free shampoo is really worth it. Well, this article will give you a deep insight into the fact.
What are ‘Sulfates’?
Let us first take a look at the ‘sulfates’, which are one of the most common ingredients of our regular shampoos. Sulfates are basically a certain type of detergents that work as fillers in various beauty products as well as household cleaning agents. When included in shampoo formulations, they help in removing grease and making the products lather well in the shower. As a result, our locks feel absolutely clean and nice. Sulfates are quite inexpensive and that is why, they are used in shampoos in plenty as a foaming agent. SLS or Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, SLES or Sodium Laureth Sulphate, TEA or TEA Lauryeth Sulfate, SMS or Sodium Myreth Sulphate and ALS or Ammonia Laureth Sulphate are some of the most commonly used sulfates in shampoos.
Also Read – Points To Know Before You Select the Right Shampoo Here
How Do Sulfates Affect Our Scalp and Hair?
But sulfates are really not as good as they sound. More bubbles are not always better. According to scientists, regular usage of sulfates can wreak havoc on our scalp, hair follicles and even hair shafts. Here are the adverse effects of sulfates that can damage our tresses significantly:
- Sulfates strip our hair off its natural moisture and dry it out badly. They are known to cause severe flakiness, itchiness and irritation to the scalp, thereby making the hair coarse and frizzy.
- As the ingredients promote scalp irritation, the chances are high that you will suffer from issues like dandruff, scalp infections, etc. by using sulfate shampoos regularly.
- People with color-treated hair may end up damaging the roots of their hair strands by using sulfates on them. It also fades away the hue of the locks and makes them dull.
- Sulfates play a ‘pivotal’ role in weakening the hair strands by corroding as well as damaging the hair follicles. It increases the possibility of hair loss to a large extent.
- The internal structure of the hair strands gets affected by sulfates, which reduces their elasticity and makes them more prone to breakage.
- Modern researches have linked sulfates to fatal ailments like immune system damages and cancer.
What to Expect from a Sulfate-Free Shampoo?
Now, it is time to find out what sulfate-free shampoos can actually offer to us and why they should be considered as a better alternative:
- Shampoos, which do not contain sulfates, are not that foamy. You cannot get tons of bubbles while rinsing your hair with them. But it does not affect their cleansing properties. Your hair will be absolutely clean after using these shampoos.
- They do not rob the natural moisture of our hair. So, there will be no issues like, dry and itchy scalp, inflammation, infection, frizzy-hair, faded hair, and so on.
- They do not cause any sort of damages to our hair follicles, which helps us stay away from dandruff, hair loss and balding.
- These shampoos will help you maintain your hairstyles (especially curls) for longer periods, even after harsh chemical treatments.
Also Read – Your Shampoo Could Be Giving You Cancer Here
Foams and bubbles can really not protect your tresses from severe damages. All you need is a sulfate-free treatment that can keep your scalp and hair follicles healthy in order to stimulate the natural growth of your locks. Hence, choosing sulfate-free shampoos over their sulfated counterparts will surely be a gain for you.