Are you suffering from acute hair loss? Does your scalp always scare you like hell? Well, if you have developed androgenetic alopecia, you can treat it efficiently with a combination therapy including two well-known drugs – ‘propecia’ and ‘rogaine’. Read on below to know more about how these medicines can help you get rid of hair fall:
Propecia for Treating Hair Loss
Propecia is known to be a brand name drug, which can treat pattern hair loss successfully. Though it is mainly beneficial for men, women suffering from androgenetic alopecia or male pattern baldness can also gain a lot from this. Here are some important facts to know about propecia and its usage in treating hair loss:
- The generic name for propecia is ‘finasteride’, which was first coined by the leading American pharmaceutical company ‘Merck’. It is basically a highly effective oral pill used for treating androgenetic alopecia (AGA).
- Initially, it was developed as a brand name drug called ‘Proscar’. This was intended for healing engorged prostate glands and the FDA offered its approval for this purpose.
- While studying the effectiveness of finasteride on men with enlarged prostate glands, Merck found that the drug comes with an amazing quality of growing hair. That is when the company thought of using it as a reliable solution for male pattern baldness.
- Further research on finasteride revealed that the drug can essentially slow down the activity of an enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase, thereby decelerating the alteration of testosterone in a powerful androgen named dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
- DHT is known to speed up baldness by contracting hair follicles. But according to researchers, daily intake of only 1 mg finasteride can decrease the amount of DHT present in the scalp by a whopping 60 percent. It can stop hair loss by as much as 86 percent and boost hair growth substantially by 65 percent.
Also Read – How effective is Minoxidil for Alopecia Areata Here
Rogaine for Treating Hair Loss
Just like propecia, rogaine is also a brand name drug that has been used to prevent hair loss for years. It was available in the market as a liquid solution for topical use even before propecia and the FDA approved it as the first medicine for treating androgenetic alopecia (AGA). Check out below the vital information regarding rogaine and its use in hair loss treatment:
- The generic name for rogaine is ‘minoxidil’. At first, it was launched in the market as a pill named ‘Loniten’, which was basically an effective solution for treating hypertension or high blood pressure.
- Scientists found that men who used minoxidil for regulating their blood pressure levels experienced hair growth in certain areas of the body. It led the researchers to study further and find out whether topical application of the drug can result into hair growth or not.
- It was found that the application of minoxidil directly onto the balding areas of the scalp can stimulate follicular hair matrix cells and result into significant hair growth. However, the result is solely depended upon the condition of the scalp as well as the extent of hair fall in the patient.
Also Read – 5 Yoga Poses to Prevent Hair Loss Here
In a nutshell, a combination therapy including the oral intake of 1 mg dose of propecia and the topical application of 3% of rogaine per day is efficient for curing hair loss like AGA and boosting hair regrowth.