Many of us have experienced tiny little bumps and breakouts on the skin soon after a waxing session. These are nothing but a reaction of the skin to the heat, the ingredients in the wax and the force with which the waxing strip is pulled off from the skin. If you frequently experience bumps after waxing, then there are some steps that you can take to minimize the appearance of bumps or to get rid of them altogether. In this post, we tell you a few tips to follow before waxing that will prevent the bumps and post-wax tips to get rid of the waxing bumps.
How to Prevent Waxing Bumps
- Exfoliate before waxing – Before your waxing appointment, make sure to exfoliate the skin well so that you unclog all the pores in the area that is to be waxed by removing the dirt, oil and dead cells from the surface. Exfoliation also helps in removal of hair easily since it makes the hair stand up so that it can be removed easily with the waxing strip.
- Hot Compress- Applying a hot compress on the skin just before waxing also helps. Dip a clean washcloth in a bowl of hot water, squeeze out excess water and apply it on the skin. This will open up the pores and also soften the hair follicles, making it easier to pull them off during the waxing session.
- Ensure Cleanliness- Make sure that the salon you go to has hygienic environs and uses fresh wax for your waxing session. Wax that has been heated over and over again and applicators that are not clean and sterilized can cause breakouts due to irritation.
- Avoid waxing during periods- Your skin and nerve ends are very sensitive when you are menstruating. So avoid waxing a few days before your periods and during your periods to prevent pain and bumps.
Read about home remedies for hair removal here
How to Get Rid of Waxing Bumps
In case you have bumps despite all the precautionary measures, you can follow some simple post wax care methods to soothe your irritated skin and reduce the bumps.
- Do not scrub after wax- Use a clean damp cloth to wipe the waxed area to remove any wax remnants. Do not use any harsh soap or scrub on this area.
- Use an astringent- Use a cooling astringent on the waxed areas to soothe any inflammation and also to close the pores that have opened up in the process of hair removal. Simply dab a cotton ball with some astringent and pat it on the affected area for instant relief.
- Topical Applications- Topical creams like a low strength hydrocortisone cream can help in soothing any skin irritation and providing instant relief. Apply the cream twice a day generously on the bumps to alleviate any irritation or itching sensation on the skin.
- Ice Pack- An ice pack is another simple remedy to get rid of the bumps. Take a few ice cubes and wrap them in a clean washcloth to make an ice pack. Place this on the affected area every two hours. This will soothe the irritation and also reduce the bumps.
- If nothing works out, then you could change the salon that you go to since sometimes it could be the product or the waxing technique that is being used by the beautician which causes the breakout.
Read about Pre and Post wax-care tips here