Piles, or hemorrhoids as they are medically known, is a condition where the veins around the lower rectum swells up and gets inflamed. The result is that passage of stool becomes a painful process. Any pressure on the rectum only ends up aggravating the situation. If the condition is severe, it can be accompanied by bleeding also. While it appears to be serious, there are many home remedies for piles that will cure the condition naturally.
Causes of Piles
Hemorrhoids are actually blood vessels which are present in the smooth walls of the rectum and the anus. The condition where they swell up leads to inflammation and pain. The causes of the swelling include
- Consuming food with very little fiber content. This can lead to a lot of strain while trying to pass stool and can cause unnecessary pressure on the blood vessels.
- Obesity and pregnancy can lead to piles due to increased pressure on the rectum due to the weight.
- Any injury in the spinal cord that prevents it from being straight leads to pressure on your rectal muscles and can cause piles.
Home Remedies for Piles
- Radish juice which is full of fibers is a common remedy for piles. Start with about a quarter cup of juice per day. Once you are accustomed to the taste, you can go ahead and drink up a glass of radish juice to heal piles.
- Drinking the water in which pomegranate peel was boiled is a surefire remedy for piles. Boil pomegranate peel in 1 cup of water. Strain the water and drink this water twice in the day, once in the morning and again in the evening. This will cure piles when consumed over a few weeks.
- Take a teaspoon of mustard and powder it to a coarse texture. Mix this in with a glass of goat’s milk and drink this on empty stomach. This is known to relieve the pain from piles and also cure the inflammation.
- Drinking sugarless banana milk shake also helps you get respite from the irritation of piles. Whip up a milk shake with ripe bananas and milk and drink two to three glasses everyday. This will make the bowel movement easy and relieve pain.
- Eat fresh figs or dried figs soaked overnight in water. This is to be consumed first thing in the morning. Doing so will help reduce the inflammation in the hemorrhoids.
- Wood Apple or what is commonly called as Bael in India contains rutin which helps the capillaries relax, promotes healthy circulation and easy passage of stool. It is a gentle laxative too. You can consume half a wood apple or try the wood apple syrup that is widely available in herbal stores.
- Applying a paste of Neem Leaves mixed with coconut oil on the external hemorrhoid will give you instant relief from the inflammation. Neem leaves are both anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. They help cure any infection and help control the soreness.
- Applying aloe vera gel or a chilled green tea bag on the hemorrhoids externally also will help soothe the burning sensation and give you temporary relief.