Onion is one of those common food items, which are always readily available in our kitchen. Being rich in vitamins, antioxidants and certain other vital nutrients, it is considered as a crucial part of a healthy diet. But the vegetable is not all about making our health better. It can do a lot to our skin too. Want to know more? Read on below:
Why Should You Use Onion for Skin Care?
We have listed below the reasons of using onion in your skin care regime:
- It helps in cleansing our blood, thereby preventing the chances of developing a number of skin issues.
- It is a great source of flavonoids as well as antioxidant vitamins, such as Vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E. All these help in protecting our skin cells from the damaging effects of ultraviolet (UV) rays.
- These components (especially the antioxidant ‘quercetin’ and certain sulphur-rich phytochemicals) of onion are also quite effective in combating free radical damages, thereby averting the signs of untimely aging.
- The vegetable is antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory by nature, which make it a great remedy for healing acne and other infection-causing bacteria.
- The vitamin content (especially vitamin C) of onion is known to give us a healthy and radiant skin.
Also Read – Onion Mask for Healthy Hair – DIY Here
How to use Onion for Skin Care?
1. Eating Onion to Make Skin Healthy Internally
- Raw onions are extremely helpful in improving the health of our skin from inside. You can either use it in salad with other nutritious fruits and vegetable or simply eat it raw.
- Lots of people do not like the lingering smell of the vegetable and hence, include it in their meals. But make sure that you do not overcook it as it will destroy all the benefits.
2. External Application of Onion on Your Skin
(a) To Prevent Aging
Cut a fresh, medium-sized onion into small pieces and juice them up. Dip a cotton ball into it and apply all over your skin. This practice can boost the flow of blood throughout skin cells significantly, which eventually gives a wrinkle-free, firmer and young-looking skin with a better texture.
(b) To Cure Acne
You can simply massage your face with some fresh onion juice or prepare a onion face pack to fight off the acne-causing bacteria efficiently. Take one tablespoon of onion juice and add one tablespoon of olive oil or almond oil to it. Blend well and apply on your skin. After 15 minutes, wash off with cold water.
(c) To Remove Spots, Patches and Pigmentation
The vitamin C component of onion plays a keys role in treating dark spots, ugly patches, pigmentation marks, and so on.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of fresh onion juice with one tablespoon of plain yogurt. Add 4 to 5 drops of lavender oil to the mixture. Massage your face with it in gentle circular motion by using your fingertips.
- Prepare a liquid mixture by blending one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice with two teaspoons of fresh onion juice. Dab it on your skin with a cotton ball. Was away with lukewarm water after 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder to one tablespoon of fresh onion juice. Massage your face with it daily.
Also Read – 8 Delicious Raw Juice Recipes to Promote Hair Growth Here
(d) To Get Brighter Skin
Regular application of fresh onion can help us get rid of dull and lifeless skin. The antioxidants and vitamins present in the vegetable give the skin cells a significant beauty boost, which results into a healthy, radiant skin.
(e) To Get Lighter Complexion
Onion can purify our blood, thereby making our complexion lighter. For this, you need to prepare a face mask by combining two tablespoons of fresh onion juice, one tablespoon of gram flour, one teaspoon of milk and one teaspoon of ground nutmeg. Apply the smooth thick paste all over your skin and wash off after 15 minutes.