‘Poha’ is a simple and healthy Indian food that comes with several interesting variations. ‘Bread poha’ is one of such tasty delights that can be made simply by using left-over bread slices. It is a very easy and filling dish with lots of vegetables (of your choice). Above all, you need only 15 minutes to prepare it. So, let us know how to make bread poha in a traditional way:
Servings for: 4 persons
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
(a) For the Main Recipe:
- Bread – 8 slices
- Potato – 2 large
- Onion – 2 medium-sized
- Tomato – 2 medium-sized
- Cauliflower – 1 small
- Peas – 1(1/2) cups
- Bell pepper – 2 small
- Carrot – 4 small
- Green chili – 4 to 5
- Lemon – 1
- Ginger – 1”
- Garlic – 6 to 7 cloves
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Amchoor powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – as per requirement
(b) For Tempering:
- Mustard seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Dried red chilies – 2 whole
- Vegetable oil – 3 tablespoons
- Fresh curry leaves – a handful
- Asafoetida – a pinch
Method of Preparation:
1. According to traditional bread poha recipe, the slices of bread are cut into cubical pieces. They should be neither too large nor too small. Rather go for medium-sized bitable ones. However, you can also crush them using a grinder to form bread crumbs.
2. Wash potatoes and all other vegetables properly. Peel the potatoes and make small cubes of them. Cut onions into long thin slices. Tomatoes should be chopped into small pieces. Mince the garlic cloves and grate the ginger nicely. Also, cut the vegetables, such as bell peppers, cauliflower and carrots into small pieces. Remember, if you make large chunks of vegetables, you will need more time than usual for cooking.
3. Now that you are prepared for making your bread poha, start with tempering. Take a large wok with wide bottom and place it on fire. Pour vegetable oil into it and adjust the flame to medium. Once the oil becomes hot, add all tempering ingredients such as asafetida, dried red chilies, mustard seeds and curry leaves to it successively.
4. After a few minutes, mustard seeds will start to sputter. Put onion slices in the wok immediately and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Make sure that the onions become translucent. Now, add the vegetables, such as potatoes, cauliflower, bell pepper, carrot and peas to the wok. Sauté for a minute. Add minced tomatoes, garlic, grated ginger, red chili powder, chopped green chilies, and salt to the mixture. Set the flame to high and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
5. After that, reduce the temperature and put a lid over the wok in order to allow it for cooking. This way, all the vegetables will get boiled fast and easily. Once you are done with it, remove the lid and put the bread pieces in the wok. Also, add turmeric powder, amchoor powder, garam masala powder and a little more salt. Blend all things together well. If you want your bread poha to be a little moist, pour some water to it at this stage. Cook for 5 more minutes and then turn the oven off.
6. Shift your bread poha to a serving platter. Squeeze out the lemon juice over it. Finally, garnish it with shredded coriander leaves and serve hot.
Also Read – How to make Tangy and Tasty Bread Chat Here