Our hair is primarily made up of a protein called Keratin. When you subject the hair to styling and heat, it causes the hair to lose out on the keratin. As a result, the hair starts looking dull and uneven. That is why the Keratin Hair Straightening Treatments are a rage nowadays because, not only do these treatments reintroduce Keratin into your hair strands but also give you hair that remains super sleek and straight for close to 3 months. So how do Keratin Hair Straightening treatments work?
Keratin Hair Straightening Treatment
The treatment involves application of a keratin hair straightening solution that contains Keratin and conditioners onto your hair and then uses heat from an iron to seal the keratin and iron out your hair. It takes anywhere between an hour and a half to three hours to complete the treatment, depending on the length of your hair. It takes about two USD 200 to treat medium length hair and straighten it using the Keratin Hair straightening treatment.
Benefits of the Keratin Hair Straightening Treatment
- Once you get the straightening treatment, you can bid good goodbye to frizzy hair for a good three months.
- The additional coating of keratin will help you safeguard your hair from sun and environmental damage.
- The Keratin in the product helps in rebonding and strengthening the hair. Your hair becomes more resilient and less prone to breakage after the treatment.
- Your hair becomes softer and shinier
- It cuts down your blow drying time, so much that, you can even go without blow drying.
Disadvantages of the Keratin Hair Straightening Treatments
- You cannot wash your hair for a couple of days after the treatment.
- Once you are through with your no-wash days, you will have to use a specific shampoo and conditioner so as to not damage the treated hair. The shampoo and conditioner have to be sulfate free, and preferably ones that come along with the hair straightening product.
- The treatment can be pricey
- You will need to ensure that your hair doesn’t come in contact with water when you go swimming.
Side Effects of the Keratin Hair Straightening Treatment
- The hair straightening product, along with Keratin can contain formaldehyde. When inhaled, formaldehyde can cause throat and eye irritation, nausea and skin sensitivity.
- Even the products that are labelled formaldehyde-free contain methylene-glycol or formalin which can cause the exact same side effects as formaldehyde.
- So that would mean that you would have to go to a reputed salon and ensure that the treatment is done by following all the safety precautions and using formaldehyde-free products.
The hair treatment has had promising results on unruly and damaged hair and gives you fabulous looking straight and shiny hair. However, if you decide to go in for one to get your hair straightened, make sure you find a good professional who knows how to do the procedure with utmost care so as to not leave behind any nasty side effects. That way, three hours into the treatment, you can emerge with straight and lustrous locks.