Gone are the days when getting a sun-kissed glow was all about lying on the beach for hours under the scorching heat of the sun. Today, exposure to the sun rays without enough protection is considered to be the worst thing for our skin as it causes extreme UVA and UVB damages. So, how can one get a sexy, summer-tanned skin in a natural, safe, and healthy way? ‘Olive oil’ should be your answer. This common kitchen ingredient can be used as an excellent tanning lotion for our skin and that too without any damage! Read on below to know more:
Why Olive Oil For Tanning?
Now the question is, why should you opt for olive oil instead of readily available sun tanning solutions? Because this oil offers a number of other benefits along with a beautiful bronze tan. Here is the list:
Also Read – 10 Must Know Home Remedies for Sun-Tanned Skin Here
- Olive oil is loaded with essential nutrients and it can also go deep into our skin. Hence, our skin gets enough nourishment and looks healthy during as well as tanning.
- Olive oil is rich in moisturizing minerals, which hydrate and moisturize our skin cells from inside to give us a soft, smooth and healthy skin.
- Olive oil can attract the heat of the sun and add great luster to our skin, which makes it one of the best natural tanning solutions with long-lasting results.
- Being a natural substance, olive oil contains no harmful chemical or artificial compounds like commercially sun tanning products found in stores.
- The healing properties of olive oil ensure that your skin does not develop any sort of rashes, breakouts, infections, etc.
- Being a simple and common kitchen ingredient, olive oil is easily available and pretty much inexpensive. Hence, it is absolutely safe.
Also Read – How to Remove Self-Tanner’s effect from your Skin Here
Usage Of Olive Oil To Get A Tanned Skin
To get a stunning bronzed skin, you can make use of olive oil in two different ways. The first one is the most common and widely followed method with awesome instant outcomes. Here are the steps for you:
- Take 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized bowl (the quantity will depend on the intensity of tan you desire to get), spread a large towel on a chair (or tanning bed), and set the timer for half an hour (you can always adjust the time based on the reaction of your skin to the oil).
- Dip a small piece of cloth (a small towel will also do) into the oil and rub it all over the skin present in the front section of your body including your face.
- Lay down on your back right on the towel you have already spread on the chair (or tanning bed). Close both of your eyes and just relax for the next half an hour!
- After that, repeat the same process for the back of your body and cover your skin with the oil.
- Reset the timer for next 30 minutes and lay down on the chair (or tanning bed) with your face down this time.
- Once the entire tanning session of one hour is done, wash the oil off your entire body thoroughly by using a mild soap and plain cold water.
Also Read – Best Bronzers for Medium to Tanned Skin Here
The second method of usage involves exfoliation for a healthier and more effective tanning. However, it takes time to work and you need to practice it for a few months to get visible results. Check out the steps:
- Take 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized mixing bowl and add 1 cup of used coffee grounds to it. Try to use coffee grounds that are obtained after straining freshly brewed coffee and are still warm enough. Combine them and allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes or so.
- Put on a pair of disposable plastic gloves and spread a few newspapers on the floor of your bathroom to avoid a mess. You may also stand in the shower or simply use your bathtub for the process.
- Apply the olive-oil-coffee ground mixture all over your skin and start exfoliating gently in a small circular motion by using your fingertips. Continue for 5 minutes and then, let it sit for the next 10 minutes.
- Wash the mixture off your skin with the help of tepid water and reveal a silky soft, smooth skin. Repeat the process at least twice every week and your skin will get a beautiful golden tan within a couple of months.
Though there are 4 different types of olive oil available in the market, it is always recommended that you use extra virgin olive oil for tanning as it offers an amazing sun-kissed look with the maximum benefits. Also, make sure that you follow the procedure properly and consistently to make your sexy tan last longer.