Urinary Tract Infection or UTI is perhaps one of the most common reasons for which people visit their doctors. It is prevalent among men and women, more so the women. The urine that we pass is actually sterile. An infection occurs if bacteria gets into any part of the urinary tract which starts at the kidneys and ends at the urethra. If you are suffering from UTI, then there are many home remedies for urinary tract infection that you can try for relief.
Causes of UTI
The cause of the infection is the bacteria called E Coli that resides in the colon. Lack of hygiene can cause the bacteria to spread to the urethra after excretion. This bacteria can travel up the bladder and even reach the kidneys and cause infection.
Symptoms of UTI
- Dysuria – Pain during urination
- More frequent urination
- A slight fever or shivering
- Cloudy or bloody urine
- Unpleasant smelling urine
- abdominal pain
Home Remedies for Urinary Tract Infection
Once you are diagnosed with UTI and are on a course of antibiotics, you can speed up the treatment with some home remedies.
- Baking Soda – Add a tsp of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it up when you start showing signs of UTI. The baking soda neutralizes the acidity in the urine and also helps you to kill the infection causing bacteria.
- Cranberry Juice – Cranberry juice helps in preventing the UTI causing bacteria from sticking to the lining of the bladder. So drink up some cranberry juice to prevent or cure UTI.
Read more about benefits of cranberry juice here
- Consume probiotics – Probiotics like yogurt contain good bacteria that helps in dealing with the infection causing bacteria. So follow up your meal with a cup of yogurt to not only soothe your digestive tract but also to relieve you of any infection in the urinary tract.
- Eat Pineapple – The Bromelain enzyme present in pineapples is good for fighting the E Coli bacteria. Eat a few slices of pineapple when you are suffering from UTI- it is a sweet way of getting rid of the infection.
- Drink Water – With all the frequent urination and the burning sensation while urinating, you might feel like avoiding the next trip to the loo by skimping on the amount of water that you drink. Do not make that mistake. Drink up your 8 glasses of water in the day, because passing urine itself is a way to cure the infection by flushing away the bacteria.
- Consume plenty of Vitamin C- Vitamin C plays an important role in treating UTI causing bacteria, so much that Vitamin C supplements are prescribed for anybody who is suffering from UTI. You can use natural supplements like citrus fruits and load up your plate with them to get rid of UTI as quickly as possible.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This is another miraculous home remedy. Drink a couple of glasses of water with a tea spoon of apple cider vinegar each. It neutralizes the urine and also kills the infection causing bacteria.
Also Read – The Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar Here
So start off with these home remedies in order to begin your recovery from urinary tract infection.