With more and more people getting aware of the needs of sun protection, the demand of sunscreens and sunblocks is increasing day by day. But it often becomes tough for us to reapply these products every 2 to 3 hours, which eventually reduces their effectiveness. In order to solve this issue, a new genre of summer safety has hit the market recently. Yes, we are talking about sun protection pills, which are said to be a perfect alternative to regular sunscreens. But can a pill truly replace those bottles of sunscreens in your shelf? Let us reveal the truth:
What Are Sun Protection Pills?
A sun protection pill is basically an oral supplement, which is loaded with powerful antioxidants. It boosts our immunity to the harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun, thereby averting free radical damages caused by them and diminishing the chances of developing inflammation. Free radicals are known to interrupt the regular activities of body cells and promote severe sun damages, which speeds up the process of aging and increases the risk of skin cancer. But antioxidants present in sun protection pills are considered to scavenge as well as eliminate them successfully. It not only helps us stay youthful, but also builds a strong resistance to the rays of the sun, which ultimately lower the rates of skin cancer and give lesser sunburns.
Also Read – Expired Sunscreen vs. No Sunscreen – Unfold the Truth Here
Comparison Between Pills and Sunscreens
Now, here is a brief comparison between the working procedures of a sunscreen lotion and a sun protection pill:
- A regular sunscreen lotion provides us external protection, while a sun protection pill works to build an internal defense against the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- Sunscreen lotions do not play any role in strengthening our immune system. All they do is to prevent sun damages by blocking the UVA and UVB rays emitted by the sun. On the other hand, sun protection pills give a boost to our immunity in order to fight against those destructive effects.
Facts to Know About Sun Protection Pills
Well, the aforementioned points might sound excellent and you might find yourself dying to give those ‘magic pills’ a try. But there are certain factors that you should take into account prior to replacing your good old bottles of sunscreens with them. Here we go:
- Sun protection pill is a comparatively newer concept. Hence, the protection offered by these supplements is limited.
- The safety offered by these pills is equivalent to maximum SPF 3 (sun protection factor 3), which is shockingly low for preventing sun damages.
- They can effectively block the sunburn responses. But it does not ensure that you will remain absolutely safe from major UV damages.
- Too much consumption of these antioxidant supplements might impair our immunity, which can eventually lead to severe free radical damages and exaggerate skin cancer.
Also Read – 8 Things to Take Into Account While Selecting a Sunscreen Here
Sun protection pills can be a good addition to your daily sun protection regimen. But it is yet to provide complete protection from the damaging UV rays of the sun. Hence, continue with your regular sunscreens and plump up your ‘armory’ with these oral supplements. It will be the wisest idea for you to keep sun damages at bay.