Laser hair removal treatment- in these times is one of the most sort out cosmetic procedures all over the world. In the United States, laser hair removal is ranked second, first being wrinkle-relaxing injections.
How does the laser hair removal work?
During the laser hair removal, a laser beam will pass through the skin to an individual hair follicle. This intense heat of laser that passes will damage the hair follicle which will result in the reduction of the number of hair and it will deteriorate the quality of hair as well. The consequence will be finer, lighter and less noticeable hair. The amount of hair reduction will depend on the number of treatments taken.
Also Read – DIY Laser Hair Removal in the Comfort of Your Home Here
Types of Laser hair removal treatment:
There are different types of laser products that can be used in laser hair removal and they are:
- Ruby Laser: This one is the oldest type of hair removal and ruby laser works the best for lighter as well as fine hair. The ruby laser is not suitable for patients with darker skin which includes tanned skin.
- Diode Laser: The diode laser is very good for darker skin type but is relatively less effective on lighter as well as finer hair. It covers a larger area and it also has fast repetition rates, which allows the treatment of bigger areas.
- Alexandrite Laser: This one happens to be the fastest laser types. The alexandrite laser is best to treat a large area of body for people with light-to-olive complexion. This one is the most commonly used laser hair removal treatment.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Devices: These devices are not exactly lasers but they are “laser equivalents” because they use the same concept of selective photothermolysis for hair removal. IPL devices are comparatively more difficult to use compared to lasers.
- Long pulse Nd:Yag laser: This laser is safest to be used on all skin types. It covers large areas and fast repetition rates will let large areas to be treated fast, however there could be slight discomfort through the treatment.
Laser hair removal treatment Procedure:
- Prior to the procedure, the hair will be trimmed to a few millimeters above the skin surface. The laser equipment will be adjusted as per the thickness, color as well as the area to be treated.
- You will be given an eye protection to protect your eyes from the laser beams.
- The doctor will apply a cold gel or special cooling device on the outer layers of the skin. This is essential to help the laser to penetrate into the skin.
- Next the pulse of light will be passed to the treatment area. Once the procedure is completed, you will be provided with anti-inflammatory creams or lotions, ice packs and cold water. The next treatment can be scheduled after four to six weeks.
Also Read – 10 Best Hair Removal Creams Here
Results of laser hair removal treatment:
The laser hair removal results are different for different individuals. To get best results you will need four to six treatments in a gap of few weeks. Light-skinned patients who have darker hair will be able to be treated more aggressively with less treatment as opposed to dark-skinned patients. Periodic follow-ups of once in every six to 12 months will be required too.
laser hair removal treatment Recovery:
- Post laser hair removal treatment, you might notice redness and swelling initially.
- A tingling sensation might be felt for a day or two and the skin that is treated may become a little crusty.
- During the healing period make sure you wash your skin gently with water and soap. Avoid scrubbing the treated skin vigorously.
- Avoid sun exposure for at least one week post treatment
- Apply sunscreen regularly
Laser hair removal treatment risks:
- Skin pigmentation
Cost of laser hair removal treatment:
- Removal of hair from smaller areas of the body like bikini line or underarms costs around $250 to $500 per treatment.
- Hair removal from legs or back costs around $600 to $900 per treatment.
Also Read – 5 Home Remedies for Hair Removal Here