Acne is a major skin issue that can affect anyone at any age. Some of us don’t care because they just keep coming back but most of us are worried for the same and do whatever possible to get rid of them.
We have a whole lot of products that promises to treat acne and cure it completely. The markets are flooded with such products and most of the products has either salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide in it. Now for a layman it is difficult to choose the best out of the two. Do not worry girls, we will give you the details of all that you need to know about the both and this will help you understand which one to choose. Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are excellent acne fighters apart from that they are most affordable too. It is easily available; you can get it from any drugstore without any hassle.
The catch is that different skin reacts differently towards these two products therefore it is very important to pick the right one for your skin or else you might worsen the situation. Let us first look at the Salicylic acid and understand it better.
Also Read – Say ‘Good Bye’ to Acne and Pimples with 5 Excellent Multani Mitti Face Packs Here
Salicylic Acid is also called as Betahydroxy acid or BHA. It is got from a bitter powder which is got from the bark of a willow tree. It has the ability to penetrate deep into the pore and dissolves dead skin build up. It peels away the top layer of the skin and does not let the pores to get clogged.
Salicylic acid is basically for the sensitive skin. It works well for people whose skin is prone to blackheads. Salicylic acid helps in exfoliating the skin well and it also reduces inflammation. Salicylic acid is very effective in fighting acne and at the same time it is very soothing to the skin. It has excellent anti-inflammatory property and that is because of its close bond with the well-known anti-inflammatory drugs that is available, acetylsalicylic acid (also known as aspirin!).
Cons of Salicylic Acid:
- It does not have great effect on the acne bacteria present in the pores.
- It does not stop the excess sebum production which is the real reason for causing the acne
- Excess application of salicylic acid can cause salicylate toxicity but most of the products that contain salicylic acid have very less concentration of salicylic acid which will not cause any kind of trouble.
It is basically benzoic acid and oxygen as a matter of fact that’s what happens when they get in contact with our skin. Benzoyl peroxide kills the bacteria that contribute towards the production of acne. Benzoyl peroxide helps in the peeling of the skin as well as exfoliating the skin and getting rid of dead skin. It expels the sebum too which is responsible for causing the acne bumps in the body. Benzoyl Peroxide is generally found in most of the lotions, gels as well as creams. Benzoyl Peroxide products should however be used only after discussing with your doctor if you are nursing or pregnant.
Also Read – Top 5 Effective Acne Soaps in India Here
Cons of Benzoyl peroxide:
- Benzoyl peroxide can bleach your fabric therefore required precautions should be taken to protect your clothes while using these products.
- It can have certain side effects like peeling, dryness and also swelling.
- It is not advised to use any other acne prescriptions while your skin is treated with benzoyl peroxide cause that can lead to irritations on the skin.
- Benzoyl peroxide does not work best on sensitive skin and also on light acne. Therefore people with such issues should not go for benzoyl peroxide as this may aggravate the situation further.
Therefore if you have a sensitive acne prone skin then salicylic acid based products work best for you meanwhile people with deeper acne issue minus sensitive skin should pick benzoyl peroxide for their skin.
Also Read – Can Glycolic Acid Peels Treat Acne Scars? Here