Hair is the ‘crowning glory’ of every single girl. All of us dream of long, strong and beautiful tresses and leave no stone unturned to achieve it. But what if the normal rate of growth of your hair is too low or you are not experiencing enough regrowth after a short-term hair loss? Well, you may have heard that scalp massage can be a good natural treatment for the fast and healthy growth of hair and this article will tell you how.
How Does Scalp Massage Promote Hair Growth?
Usually, our hair grows in the following three phases:
- Anagen (growth phase)
- Catagen (resting phase)
- Telogen (falling out / shedding phase)
If you suffer from permanent hair loss, the reason is certainly the cessation of the growth phase or anagen phase. But in other cases, it might be various internal as well as external factors which are causing hair fall and massaging the scalp in a regular manner can be a good natural solution for this.
Also Read – A New Alternative to Hair Growth- Scalp Micropigmentation Here
Massaging basically revolves around kneading and rubbing the scalp along with pressing the fingertips against the skin gently. It can do good to our hair and scalp in the following ways:
- Boosts the circulation of blood throughout the surface layer of the scalp by opening up the blood vessels.
- Supplies required amount of oxygen to the roots of the hair.
- Distributes the nutrients all though the scalp evenly.
- Offers deep conditioning to the entire scalp.
- Makes each and every hair root stronger.
- Stimulates the hair follicles to a great extent by unclogging them through dead skin removal.
- Gives a feel of relaxation by lowering the levels of stress significantly.
With so many benefits, it is quite obvious that scalp massage can aid in encouraging the optimal growth of healthy hair and prevent premature hair or loss as well as other hair-related issues effectively.
How to Massage the Scalp for Stimulating Hair Growth?
Now, here is a stepwise guide to the perfect scalp massage:
- Start with clean hair with no synthetic products on. You can either massage your scalp with a good massaging oil when your hair is completely dry, or perform it on wet tresses after shampooing, conditioning and combing them thoroughly.
- Follow the well-known ‘checkmark method’ to massage your scalp in the right manner. Place your fingertips (make sure that you do not end up scratching your scalp or breaking your hair by using your nails) on your scalp by keeping them wide apart. Contract and extend them in that order slowly yet firmly (the movement should be just like the shape of a checkmark’).
- Then, move the fingertips to another part of your scalp by following a circular motion, while keeping them right on your scalp all the time. Massage different parts in this manner and make sure that the whole scalp is covered. You should not contract-extend your fingers more than 3 to 4 times on a certain area of the scalp all at once.
Also Read – Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp Here
Factors to Consider
- Always massage your scalp for more than 5 minutes. It is necessary for the maximum nourishment and growth of our hair.
- It can be done anywhere, anytime. Hence, try to practice it once every day.
- In case you have infections on your scalp, discuss with your dermatologist first.
- It is even better to use an essential oil for scalp massage. This will ensure a more stimulating experience for you.