Triphala is an herbal remedy for a number of ailments and helps improve overall wellbeing. In Sanskrit, it means three fruits. It is available in powder form and is made by drying and grinding 3 different fruits – Haritaki, Bibhitaki and Amalaki. Triphala holds a large number of amazing health benefits that have been tested and proven through scientific researches. The most noticeable benefits are described here in brief.
1. Immune System – Triphala helps in boosting your immunity because it is rich in antioxidants. The benefits of this herbal mixture have been studied and it has been found to help meliorate the immune system.
Triphala has high percentage of antioxidants that regularize cell metabolism and curb free radical production that cause aging. In addition to fighting aging, triphala also helps stimulate the nucleus, mitochondria and golgi bodies in the cells.
In addition, it would also protect the body against foreign agents like pathogens and infections.
2. Cholesterol Balance – Triphala helps in maintaining the correct cholesterol balance in the body.
3. Aids physiological functions – Triphala improves the functioning of your endocrinal system. This system helps in maintaining the ideal homeostasis in your body. This further helps in improving the physiological functions in your body.
In addition, the herbal mixture also helps rejuvenate the body. The presence of amla extracts in it further help in preventing immature graying of the hair.
4. Helps with bowel movement – Triphala helps in cleansing the bowels and promotes regular bowel movement.
5. Fights Cancer – Triphala has been noted to help fight cancer because of its antioxidant properties that eliminate free radicals in the body.
6. Asthma – The herbs have been found to help improve respiratory infections and asthma.
7. Urinary System – Triphala is also helpful in improving the health of the urinary system and even the reproduction system.
8. Weight loss – Overeating is one of the main reasons behind obesity. Triphala bonds with cholecystokinin, the hormone responsible for satiety and sends a signal to the body that the digestive system is full. This helps limit the amount of food that you eat.
Consumption of triphala is a natural and healthy way to maintain your weight. Triphala also helps by regulating the functioning of liver and the absorption of nutrients. Several studies suggest that it can stimulate the liver and pancreas in the production of bile that helps metabolize fat and reduce weight.
9. Eye Health – Triphala has been found to help cure a number of eye disorders like:
- Progressive myopia
Several research studies have also established that it is helpful in improving the overall health of the eyes and improving vision.
10. Diabetes – Triphala is considered to be a wonder medicine for diabetics. As already mentioned, it stimulates the pancreases, which causes the secretion of insulin. This helps in maintaining the glucose level in the body.
A number of research studies have shown improvements in diabetics using triphala.
The American Botanical Council conducted research on diabetic rats and came with the conclusion that triphala is highly effective in improving the condition. The studies indicate that it works by reducing the patient’s insulin resistance and easing out the condition.
In addition, the herbals mixture’s bitter taste is also helpful in treating hyperglycemia.
11. Blood Purification – Triphala is also a natural astringent that helps in the purification of the blood. It helps in regulating blood density and maintaining a check on the deposition of cholesterol in the heart and arteries.
It is also helpful in maintaining blood pressure and avoiding cardiovascular diseases that are increasingly catching up with women in India.