India has by far the most diverse cuisines due to its cultural diversity. Hence it offers a lot of healthy choices for a wholesome breakfast. Be it the north India, or south India, there are multiple breakfast options to suit all types of taste buds as well as pockets. Here is a list of 10 low calorie India breakfasts that you must try out. All of them are healthy and tasty, and are bound to leave you finger licking and fresh first thing in the morning.
1. Poha – A speciality of west India, poha can be made in various ways and it is completely fat free and healthy. It is extremely easy to make and takes less than few minutes to cook and serve.
It has a calorie value of 250 and provides lot of useful Vitamins and takes 10 minutes to prepare.
2. Idli – Though cumbersome to make for North Indians, for South Indians it is extremely easy to make and very delicious. At the same time it has extremely less calories and has absolutely no oil. This is the perfect breakfast that is filling and tasty. It can be eaten either alone or with chutney of coconut or with sambhar or rasam depending upon one’s preference.
It has a calorie value of 112 and provides lot of useful Vitamins, Iron and Calcium and takes around 20 minutes to prepare.
3. Curd Rice – Again an extremely easy dish to make yet very very tasty and healthy. Rice and Curd mixed together and cooked for few minutes with one’s choice of herbs put into it, and a delicious breakfast is ready.
It has a calorie value of 286 and is rich in Iron, Thiamin, Protein, Carbohydrates Vitamins, Iron and Calcium and takes 10 minutes to prepare.
4. Oats – An excellent and light choice for Indian breakfasts, Oats can be a tasty yet completely healthy breakfast. It has many benefits for a better skin, and better bowel movement.
It has a calorie value of 102 and is rich in all types of Vitamins and Minerals and has no fat content. It takes no time to prepare as you get readymade oats in the market.
5. Fruit’s salads – As India has various topographies, hence at any point of time, multiple fruits are readily available all across India. This makes a fruit breakfast a delight for low calorie breakfast eaters. Fruits can be eaten with salad toppings or just standalone with some salt and pepper.
It has a calorie value as low as 70 and is rich in all types of Vitamins and Minerals and also has high fibre content and it just takes 5 minutes to prepare.
6. Upma – Another delicious preparation that has its origins in South India but is now enthusiastically eaten throughout India. Upma can be again made in different forms and with different ingredients depending upon one’s taste. It is again a low calorie breakfast.
It has a calorie value of 248 and is rich in Proteins, Sodium and many types of Vitamins and it takes around 15 minutes to prepare.
7. Sandwiches – Vegetable filled sandwiches are a most welcome breakfast for working household couples that have less time to prepare a healthy breakfast.
It has a calorie value of 100 and is rich in fibre content and it takes 10 minutes to prepare.
8. Plain Parathas with Curd – A speciality of India, paranthas can be made from a plain no stuffing paratha to a light stuffed paratha depending upon one’s taste. Again if cooked with less oil, it is also a low calorie breakfast option that can be served with plain curd.
It has a calorie value of 141. It takes around 10 minutes to prepare this.
9. Cereals – Cereals are readily available in India and provide excellent source of less fat and more mineral content. Hence a cereal breakfast is an absolute delight owing to its many advantages.
It has a calorie value of 110 and is rich in Proteins and Sodium. It takes no time to prepare as cereals are available in the market, ready to eat.
10. Egg French toast – For those who want eggs during breakfast, the French toast is an ultimate option because it uses very less oil and is tasty and healthy at the same time.
It has a calorie value of 117 and is rich in Proteins and Fibre. It takes around 10 minutes to prepare.